How to Help Prevent Trips and Falls in the Home
Trips and falls are the most common type of accident in the home, especially for the elderly.
Some simple changes that you can make to make a huge difference.
1) Make a clear path for your loved one to be able to walk either with a cane or walker – move furniture around to make it clear.
2) Pick up anything that your loved one can trip over.
3) Make sure there are no electrical cords running over.
4) Have a non-slip pad underneath any rugs that have the potential to move or slide when walking over them.
5) Put nightlights in areas of the home that are not well lit – hallways, bathrooms and bedrooms.
6) Stairs need to be lit properly and make sure your loved one holds the railing as they go up and down the stairs.
7) Have slippers that have a rubberized sole and then the backs need to be closed (not open backed).
8) Have a grab bar in the bathroom – noticeably around the shower both in and out of the shower.
9) Ask your doctor about simple exercises that your loved one can do to increase their strength and mobility.
10) Get home help for your loved one if needed.
Independence may become more difficult as we age, but we still have the freedom to choose our own path. You’ll be able to stay in your current home and neighborhood longer if you build a support network of people who can help when it’s necessary. To supplement or compensate for your natural support network consider reaching out to deluxe senior care provider like Pari Home Care.
Learn more about in-home senior care for yourself or your loved one from the dedicated staff at Pari Home Care. We are known for our flexible hourly and in-home care from everything from running errands and help around the house with daily chores to more personal care. We also offer comprehensive Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s, and post-stroke care in Ottawa.
For more information, please call our office at (613) 266-6765 and schedule a complimentary in-home consultation or you can send us an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our staff will contact you.